Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life is Good...Take a vacation

Every day my boss asks me, “did you write your blog yet?” and every day I tell him tomorrow, because TODAY, like yesterday, I am obsessed with being a Mother. I love my job at Vacation Travel Mart, and before I became a parent, I didn’t think I would ever like anything as much as I liked working. For me, to be able to send someone on a Caribbean vacation is really fulfilling. I love that my clients are now my friends. I love the people I work with. I can honestly say I do not work for the money, but for the satisfaction I get by giving someone a “deal”. Would I work for free? Probably not.
Anyhow, so work was my life…then I won the lottery (figuratively speaking) and now have 2 children. I have a 2 month old baby girl, Kasey Caryl and a 2 year old toddler, Blake Fox. I have it all, even the white picket fence! Every day is so fulfilling and gratifying that I cannot seem to wipe the smile off my face. Don’t get me wrong, every day is not a picnic. I haven’t slept more than 5 hours in a row in over 3 months, one of my best friend’s has lung cancer, the economy still sucks and is affecting all of us, I haven’t worked out in 3 months, and the swine flu came and left us all a little scared to travel.
So I am writing with a purpose, and believe me, if I didn’t have anything good to say, I wouldn’t waste my time or your time. Take a vacation. I just took one and am ready for another one. Right now the airlines and resorts are trying to re-coup the money they lost last year when fuel prices were so high and before people cancelled their vacations in fear of catching a flu that actually started in the US and has nothing to do with poor Mexico.

My boss, Jacques, in addition to bothering me, also decided to drop our already small profit margin in order to increase sales. So, go to Mexico, or Jamaica, or even Aruba and the Bahamas. There are deals everywhere. I am telling you, I have been doing this for 18 years and I never saw an all-inclusive hotel in Cancun for $35 a night (at least not one without roaches). The Oasis Viva and Palm Beach are offering deals that cheap, and while they are not 5 star hotels, they are not dumps either. The Catelonia resorts are 5 star (on a scale of 6) and have rates as low as $50 per person, per night. There is no flu in Mexico, I promise you. It is safe and cleaner than before.

Jamaica is another place that just added about a billion new hotel rooms and is offering some exceptional vacation deals. It is not as cheap as Mexico or the Dominican Republic, but if you want to try someplace new try Jamaica. They just added zip line tours, and even a Jamaican bobsled ride.

I would write more but I would rather stare at my beautiful children. Call us, or visit our website. I know times are tough, but if you have a job you love, or a partner that makes you happy most of the time, or are blessed with the honor of being a parent (even if your kids act rotten sometimes), take a minute to smile. Better yet, take a vacation!
.

No comments: